3.27.2010

Reaching for my wallet

























Received the above in the mail today . . . it strikes me as unfortunate timing that I should get such a notice just as I'm teaching a dystopian novel (We) and digesting the commentary concerning the recently passed health care bill.  I don't know that I'm a cynic, but it's hard not to be skeptical about the state offering "comprehensive, affordable, and dependable benefits," especially when that phrase is followed by "must bring costs under control." 

Let me add that I know (since I've been admonished on this point before) that we have it very good.  My skepticism arises more from the way the state bureaucracy uses Ingsoc-type language. 

But at least they spent the time & money to make a snazzy new logo, prominently featuring the letters "TN"! 

**
Little Red is on a hunger strike or something:  our last four meals or so, he's barely eaten a thing. 

**
This was an incredibly busy week.  Highlights included:  getting hung out to dry in front of the whole faculty senate, throwing one composition class out for not completing a short reading, grading papers, interviewing two candidates for the position of dean, Alpertuesday, and Dad's Night at the day care.

**
We did take the boys to the easter egg hunt at the town park today . . . they enjoyed it.  Piers was less excited than the others about being around approximately 739426 of our closest West TN friends.   The boys discovered that those candy eggs (you know, the ones with the hard colorful shell that looks like plastic and tastes like . . . plastic) are inedible, and that marshmallow ropes are yummeh.















No comments: