3.17.2010

Equilibrium


In the iconic red envelope in the mailbox today:  Equilibrium, a dystopian film.  I've started on a project of seeing as many of these as I can, partially because the genre is interesting to me, but also because I'm teaching the course and always have my students do an essay on a dystopian film. 

Other movies I plan to watch:

Logan's Run
Nineteen Eighty-Four
Battle Royale
District 9
Demolition Man
Idiocracy
The Omega Man
I am legend
Escape from New York
Brazil
Rollerball

Those are for starters, at least.  I'm open to suggestions (Brother D?  Blakbuzzard?  Haymbone?  any ideas, my movie maven friends?)  I need to go ahead and buy  Lang's Metropolis, and I ought to get my own DVD copy of Blade Runner, the two films I always use to illustrate visual points to the class.

Once they have that Netflix-streaming-to-the-Wii thing down,  I can watch some of these streaming online!  Isn't it amazing!  It will be, until the agents in dark clothes come knocking on my door.  heh.

5 comments:

Paul Marchbanks said...

Hey, Piers! I teach a class on dystopia too. If you're interested in the syllabus, go to:

http://cla.calpoly.edu/~pmarchba/231_DYSTOPIA/index.html

In addition to the classics you list, here are a few others dystopic in some form or fashion (I'm sure you're aware of most):

• Aeon Flux (2005)
• A. I. (2001)
• Code 46 (2004)
• Dark City (1998)
• The Day After Tomorrow (2004)
• Deep Impact (1998)
• The Final Cut (2004)
• I Am Legend (2007)
• The Island (2005)
• Omega Man (1971)
• Reign of Fire (2002)
• THX 1138 (1970)
• The Time Machine (2002)
• Twelve Monkeys (1996)
• Minority Report (2002)
• V for Vendetta (2005)

Paul Marchbanks said...

Oh, someone's developing an adaptation of _Y: The Last Man_ too, and I think a new version of _Fahrenheit 451_ is also on the way . . .

Jessica Watson said...

I would have suggested 12 Monkeys as well. What about Terminator: Salvation?

Unknown said...

Sweet! Let me know how you like Equilibrium. I have mixed feelings about it, but it's been a while since I watched it. Here are some other options I noticed were missing from your list and the one above...

The worthwhile:
-Children of Men
-Southland Tales
-Gattaca
-Soylent Green
-A Clockwork Orange
-Strange Days
-I, Robot
-Renaissance
-The Book of Eli
-City of Lost Children
-The Road
-The Postman (heheh)
-Mad Max!
-The Matrix

The not-so-good:
-Surrogates (meh)
-Gamer (hilariously bad)
-Doomsday (awful)
-Daybreakers (vampires!)
-REPO: The Genetic Opera (don't do it!)
-Waterworld! (BWAAAAHAHAHAHA)


The somewhat-dystopian and VERY good:
-Sunshine
-Moon
-Tokyo Zombie (weird, but funny)

Say hi to the boys for me...

Brother D

Jessica Watson said...

I was coming back to suggest some of these (Repo!, Waterworld, Mad Max.) So here are some new suggestions. Gamer, The Island, Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity, V for Vendetta, 28 Days Later...as possible ideas. Not sure though... www.imdb.com it.