12.12.2008

Gradebook.















Words and numbers jotted on scraps of paper--it's that time of the semester. Students are mostly gone, the suite is quiet. I learned something about myself this week. Well, admitted it, rather--I'm terribly anxious to be liked, for people to tell me I'm doing a good job. I bring this up because this tendency of mine makes the end of the term kinda fraught with anxiety. I calculate grades, put them in the computer, and all the while worry about the reactions I'm going to get from my students.

Absurd, isn't it? I was anxious about grades as a student, and now that I'm a professor, I'm anxious about grades. One might have thought that I would have gotten over it by now.

Don't get me wrong: I love it when my students succeed; I like giving high grades either way. But the low ones make me worry. I tend to fear 'disappointing' them.

No comments: