12.06.2008

fallen leaves



















The term is over. Exams left to give, and some grading to do, but the bulk of the work is over. I'm frankly pretty discouraged about how things turned out . . . I don't think I did a good job with any of my classes. One student yesterday cracked that she had made some kind of critical comment--and while cracking a joke in return, I thought, "if you only knew."

That said, given what else was going on in my mind, it could be considered a major achievement that there didn't come one day in October or November when I just failed to appear.

***
Unbidden it came to my mind yesterday: I really want to go live in Japan. Sleep on a futon (a real one, not the bastardized version that people use in this country), eat with hashi, buy canned coffee out of a vending machine (hot or cold, your choice). And so on.

***
Greg Maddux retired yesterday. He & Tom Glavine & John Smoltz were the best reason to watch the Braves in the 90's. I admire them so much.

***
I'm looking forward to getting on the bike again; there hasn't been much time or energy for that recently.

***
Someone asked yesterday whether I wasn't upset about the deep budget cuts and upheaval at the university. I said, "nope." What would be the good of getting upset, especially since there's not a thing in the world I can do about it? Sufficient unto the day is the trouble thereof, or something like that.

***
Gonna get Christmased up today. Which will take plenty of time. Which means I should draw this to a close.

No comments: