12.20.2008

159



















I have lost my appetite. I don't eat because I'm hungry, because I'm almost never hungry. Well, except for brownies. And donuts. But for the last three months it seems that I only eat because it's time to eat and I know I should.

I've had this happen before when going on new meds; this time, it has lasted for months rather than weeks. I noticed it first when my pants--all of them--started feeling a bit loose. A welcome development in some cases--here, it meant that I had to get an entire new set of pants to wear to work. But even those pants are now seeming a bit loose. It was suggested at our house that maybe an elastic waist is the way to go.

We don't have a scale at the house, and I don't really care about my weight, but as I have shrunk about to the size I was in college, I've begun to wonder. At Thanksgiving, I got on the scale here at the in-laws' house: 165. Tonight, after eating only half a bowl of soup and a clementine (not on purpose, mind you; my body said, "no more") I weighed again: 159. My total intake for today consisted of a bowl of cereal, a plain cheeseburger, a few bites of a blizzard, a couple chocolate chip cookies, and the aforementioned soup & clementine. I know, healthy stuff--but give me a break, we were on the road.

I'm not bragging; I don't like shrinking out of my clothes, having my jeans fall off (and I wear button-fly, so it's not like you can pick up a replacement just anywhere), feeling like all the shirts I have look like I'm wearing a tent (I can forget buying anything at Jos. A Bank; their stuff--while quite nice--is cut for men with more generous proportions, evidently). My winter coat--a "L," of course--is faaaar too big.

I wonder how long this weight loss will last--and I wonder what will happen when I crank the bike back up in January. Believe me, I never thought I'd see 160 again. Well, on the bright side: not even a hint of a spare tire. Whatever that's worth.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I wish that I could get rid of my spare tire. Might need to hook me up with some meds.

Piers said...

I do not recommend the Depression Diet, or its second phase, The Lithium Diet. The side effects bite, haha