2.12.2006

Pondering

One of the things that kept me from starting a blog in the first place--I've been reading some blogs for over four years now, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the form--was my suspicion that it would be much ado about nothing. What's the value of baring one's soul on the internet, anyway? Who'd care to read it?

. . .

You'll note how that objection eventually gave way. Still, I'm faced with another dilemma, and it relates to something the pastor said in church today. He pointed out that there is so much in our lives that beats us down, constantly. We all live under the pressure of a world that will crush what we cherish in ourselves and others. We all need building up; we all need someone or someones to help us bear up under that weight.

Which brings me to the question of what I should do in this space. Sure, I've basically been experimenting with the form, but in order to do it long-term, I'm going to have to do more than just say "I'm reading this book" or "I don't like the cold." But I don't particularly want to spend my time talking about "I think such-and-such is stoopid" or "can you believe what those dirty so-and-sos are doing this time" because the last thing we need is another person telling us what's wrong with ourselves, or with our country, or with academia, or baptists, or anything else. It's not like my position as english professor at a small regional state institution provides me any expertise to speak on such things.

Piers Penniless is a persona that Thomas Nashe used in one of his satirical works, and I once thought it would be fun to point out absurdity and hypocrisy in my profession. But. 1) Shooting fish in a barrel is no fun, and 2)I don't have tenure. Plus, who wants to read yet more caustic satire? I'm not even that funny.

So, I guess I'll be using the blog to do a couple of things:

a. Tell folks about general news & events around here.
b. Find time to post pictures of and observations about our town--things I find interesting about West Tennessee in general.
c. Join conversations with the Buzzard and Hambone (and others, too) about vocation, work, home.
d. Share things I've been researching and teaching.


I don't know how interesting it will be to me or to anyone else, but at least blogs are flexible. Feel free to respond, if you've got any wonderful ideas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and . . .

e. sharing amusing anecdotes about life with a toddler

Piers said...

aha! what a great idea!

hayumbone said...

You know, I've been thinking about your post of 1 Feb., "Mystifying Myself," and our comments on the issue of engaging others. I suppose this could come under item "c" but to be even more specific (or as a general, overarching rule?), you could make this a place where you truly try to engage and connect with others, even when it's a little scary.

And as someone who hesitates each time she posts something halfway personal, because of the loss of control it represents, I say that not at all lightly.

Piers said...

You know me, and my aversion to revealing too much of myself, all too well. Thanks for the thoughts. I think you're right, though. This can't take the place of good conversation, but it's a start, and darn better than silence.