2.28.2006

Gut-check #1

A colleague of mine came into the office yesterday and told me some great news:  he is taking a position at Gonzaga U.  What a professional move for him--better pay, bigger city, favorable teaching contract.

For some reason, though, it was like a splash of cold water in my face.  For the first time since we arrived, this place felt temporary.  It's uncomfortable to think that way at all, yet it appears that I'll have to sit with this feeling for a bit before I know what to do with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's weird. As I continue on the job market, I find myself increasingly willing to take things I hadn't initially considered seriously. My standards have lowered, in other words.

Odd to think that some day I might be in the same position as you.

Weird how human nature seems to keep us ever grasping after what we ain't yet got hold of . . .

Piers said...

Don't get me wrong, I am happy we're here, and I have no sense that I "settled"--to do this work as a professional is a blessing. Still, it will be hard if colleague after colleague sets out for greener pastures. And I realize that despite my intentions, i.e., planning to stay here long term, circumstance might dictate otherwise.