4.26.2010

From today's reading


"Tolstoy's ardent strides toward perfection never resulted in any semblance of peace or serenity.  Up to the moment of his death the diaries and letters kept circling back to the rueful theme of failure, exposing the vast gap between the high ideals of the gospel and the sad actuality of his own life."

"Tolstoy reminds us that, contrary to those who say the gospel solves our problems, in many areas--justice issues, money issues, race issues, personal issues of pride and ambition--the gospel actually adds to our burdens."

I'd add a few items to that list, Mr. Yancey, but the point is a good one. 

N. B.: I'm no author, and certainly no Russian author!

2 comments:

MOM said...

So you have been reading it!

Dad said...

Philip Yancey has always been one of my favorite writers. He stretches me and makes me think a little more critically about my faith. He grew up in a strict fundamentalist setting and "survived" so he has helped a lot of other people to survive as well. I hope you are enjoying the devotional book. Mom and I certainly are!