4.27.2010

Adventures with Students, vol. 15
















I told the students in my class today, impromptu-like, that they need to consider carefully before they step off into the world of graduate study.  This was after I asked them to think about whether or not professors are normal people, and after I did an imitation of RB starting that Milton class several years ago on the bottom floor of Greenlaw.  The discussion ranged wide, but essentially, I advised them to keep their wits about them and to keep their options open.  Grad school can be a good thing, but even the best students aren't sure of where (or if) they'll land.

The end of the term is when classes begin to get a little loose in the joints, and also when the really strange requests start coming in, like the student who has missed 70% of the class meetings just now trying to explain that he had good reasons for being gone, like taking a job that conflicted with class time, etc., etc.  I sympathize, I really do--but what goes unsaid for now is that they need to choose which is more important.  If the work & money are important, then pursue that.  If doing well in classes is more important, then pursue that.  There are times that it's not possible to do both.

I wish that students would give term papers some thought before the week they are due.  Not for my sake, honestly--I don't mind helping--but because it would be so much easier and turn out so much better for them.

I did tell the students this, too:  that my interactions with them, dealing with the works we get to deal with, is the major payoff.  So true.  Sure as hell ain't the meetings.

No comments: