4.19.2009

Things that are awesome, Vol. 2









Barbecue.

Specifically, pulled pork. Now, don't get me wrong: I appreciate brisket, chicken, ribs, sausage, and all the other varieties. But there's nothing that can match a good pile of pulled pork, either on a bun or off it. Naturally, one wants slaw (proper slaw--not that vinegary mess that folks around here call slaw), hush puppies (with butter, if you're a Tar Heel), and brunswick stew to go along with it. Sauce can be anything, though the less sweet the better. Ideally, the runny, spicy style they favor far East of here.

Really, though, I'll take it any way I can get it. I'm a sucker for it (I'm a sucker for a lot of things, I know--but this is high on the list). The smoky taste of the meat combined with the zing of the sauce, then the slightly sweet crunch of the slaw . . . and then lots of sweet sweeeeet tea to wash it down. As a bonus, most barbecue joints have excellent desserts, so if you like pecan pie, for instance . . .

It's probably no coincidence that we host a pig picking here at our house every October. I'm just that devoted.

No comments: