4.10.2009

Haulin'











I just came across this article talking about the Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero. I see an El Camino every time I drive down toward McKenzie, and I still say that I'd be the coolest Shakespeare teacher in town if I tooled around in one. For some reason, this gets the most awful looks of scorn from my friends and associates, especially of the female persuasion. But! think of the advantages: I could use it as a platform for some float in the Soybean Festival Parade. The Big Brother could stand in the back and hurl candy at other children. I could use it to haul stuff. You know, all that stuff that I tend to need to haul. Yeah, that stuff. I could offer to use it in helping friends move, but since they'd look with suspicion on my automobile, I'd get credit for offering without actually having to do anything. I could use it as a stargazing platform. I could use it to transport my bike to places I wanted to ride it, since it makes a lot of sense to drive your bike somewhere in order to ride. Actually, sometimes it does make sense, now that I think about it. I could put one of those ridiculously complicated rail systems in the back to accommodate a bike carrier, and with the bike upright in the bed, I'd get double--nay, triple!!--the cool points, only to be exceeded if I put a sticker that reads "OBX" or "26.2" or "Mossy Oak" on the back.

Ah, well. I wouldn't trade my little Honda for anything, anyway, so you can stop sneering at me. I mean, try to find an El Camino with an auxiliary audio port for my Shuffle!

**
Unrelated but funny: Heard at my table tonight: no weapons at the table. Such is life with little boys, as the previous post illustrates in a sort of indirect way. We are learning that the younger is a climber where the elder was not, the elder was a talker and a watcher in the way that the younger is not. Lots of proto-language going on with the younger, though.

1 comment:

Maurice. said...

I definitely heard you say that entire first paragraph.