4.16.2009

Aw, pshaw.



















It has been suggested that I stop with the self-deprecation. I agree that it sounds like a good idea, but the problem is that most, if not all of my humor, is self-deprecating! Without it, I'd only be left with curmudgeonliness and wry, dry commentary. Well, that and the quoting of movies like The Three Amigos or Robin Hood: Men in Tights. That's not quite enough.

I'm always amazed at people who brim with self-confidence. I've always been attracted to them, actually, because they're fun, bright, exciting, interesting. They seem to have what I don't see in myself. I can't remember many times when I've felt truly confident--and even then I've not been comfortable with it. So it's amazing to watch those bright, singular souls that do not question, do not hesitate. Or at least they don't appear to.

So it could be that what appears to be self-deprecation for reasons of humor or manipulation is in fact honest self-examination! After all, surely it's a safer course to measure oneself too harshly than not harshly enough. But not battling oneself all the time would be nice too, I guess.

No comments: