2.16.2009

Fifty-Four



















Because I breathe not love to everyone,
Nor do not use set colors for to wear,
Nor nourish special locks of vowed hair,
Nor give each speech a full point of a groan,
The courtly nymphs, acquainted with the moan
Of them who in their lips Love's standard bear,
"What, he?" say they of me, "now I dare swear
He cannot love; no, no, let him alone!"
And think so still, so Stella know my mind.
Profess indeed I do not Cupid's art;
But you, fair maids, at length this true shall find,
That his right badge is but worn in the heart:
Dumb swans, not chattering pies, do lovers prove;
They love indeed, who quake to say they love.

(Sir Philip Sidney, 1591)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Is there anything more beautiful than Astrophil and Stella?

Like the picture, by the way.

Lindsey said...

that picture used to be my display picture on facebook like 2 years ago! haha, awesomeeee