2.12.2013

Tuesday Update, Busy Monday Edition

Better a day late than not at all.

As I sat at basketball practice yesterday evening, I thought to myself that I had better start composing the blog entry for Monday.  And then I forgot, and then there were plenty of other things to take care of at home. Mondays tend to be busy.  Speaking of basketball, Number One Son has shown so much improvement over the past couple of weeks, it's really fun to watch. And he love love loves it, to the point where he'll go out to the new basketball goal several times a day to dribble and shoot.  And it paid off--he scored in the game this past Saturday (and apparently to a teensy roar from the little crowd in the gym . . . he is after all the smallest guy on the court).

We got a health report on him the other day from school . . . his BMI was listed at 17%!

Our poor pastor is finished with his series on the Eschaton. And thank goodness. . . he wasn't ready to take something like that on, and it showed.  He spoke with confidence and conviction, to be sure, but his teaching was so intellectually incoherent that I didn't even bother getting upset about it.

With the start of February comes the need to start training on the bike again, and this time added to the fitness class I've been taking with The Runner twice a week.  If I'm going to make the Old Howard 100 this year, I'm going to have to be in riding shape.  Not JULY riding shape, mind you, but at least able to ride a few miles without wanting to croak.

Taught my favorite poet these past couple of class days.  For a sample: 
Dear flesh, while I do pray, learn here thy stem
And true descent; that when thou shalt grow fat,

And wanton in thy cravings, thou mayst know
That flesh is but the glass, which holds the dust
That measures all our time; which also shall
Be crumbled into dust.
I was pleased that several students saw that there is a kind of simple profundity in what Herbert writes.

The children and the parents in my house have all (mostly) recovered from the recent spate of upper respiratory viruses. This is a good thing, cause February is unpleasant enough around here without midnight breathing treatments, my losing my voice, etc.

No comments: