2.25.2013

Monday Update, SACS Edition
























With the visit of the team from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, our long regional nightmare may be over, or it may have just begun. I have heard much in the past few days to make me quite nervous about what these various forms of oversight might mean. I do in fact think that accountability is a good and necessary thing, but I have to admit that the coming shape of my profession is a far cry from the dream of academia that I once treasured. I have heard nothing that encourages me in that respect. I expect that if I still work in a university setting in ten years, I should count myself incredibly fortunate.

Because I have no other skills.

Speaking of skills, I am pondering stepping away from my teaching role at the church. The class is going absolutely nowhere, and I'm not the type to make it a warm and fuzzy occasion to be at Sunday school. It just may be that I am not the man that's needed in this instance. And let's face it, I'm not all that gung-ho about church to begin with . . . a little goes a long way for me.

There is a coyote hanging around; it has made a couple of close passes to the house during the middle of the day. Fortunately, The Mutt has been inside both times. Still, we find it odd to see a coyote that close to a people house in the broad daylight. Just about everyone has had the same response:  "shoot it!"

Speaking of The Mutt, she got a two-hour pass today--slipped her collar and spent the next two hours running around the neighborhood and fields close to us. Almost got hit by a couple of cars, nearly tried to follow the van as The Runner went to pick up Number One Son from school.  I was called home to help with the luring of The Mutt.  I picked up the leash & collar, took Little Red by the hand, and we went for a casual walk. The Mutt saw us, and didn't hesitate--ran at me like a missile. I gave her the hot dog I had in my hand, slipped on her collar, and brought her home.

I will also just say that an eight year old boy is an interesting figure to have around the house.

No comments: