2.28.2013

Adventures with Students, Vol. 48
























I teach this class on Utopian and Dystopian Thought every Spring.  I take them through More, and Campanella, and then do some Bellamy and Morris . . . and then I have them do some research on places like Oneida or Brook Farm. Then we look at 20th Century dystopian novels like Nineteen Eighty Four, or Brave New World, or The Giver.

So far so good. 

The course works in part because it allows us to discuss many issues under the rubric of figuring out how these authors make these systems work (or not work, as the case may be).  The students have lots of freedom to read and research all sorts of different things.  And, I'll be honest, it at least partially makes them think about the opportunities and costs inherent in personal liberty.

Except this time, I've had a couple of students who have seriously written that the dystopias they are studying are in fact pretty dang good places to live--even emphasizing the extent to which many onerous human burdens are lifted from the populations in the novels. To be unfree is okay, they argue, as long as they are fed and clothed and housed.

I try not to grade essays based on whether or not I agree with their theses, but these have been tough.  They may be trolling me for all I know--just writing in a vein that they know will get my goat.  It has worked, if that's the case.


1 comment:

Dad said...

I always enjoy reading these "adventures" with students. I wish that during my college years I had a class like this and a professor like you to get me to think about such things. These students are blessed to have you in the classroom. Do I sound like a Dad proud of his son - I guess so.