7.08.2011

"So Moses returned to the Lord and said,

























...Alas, this people have sinned a great sin; they have made for themselves gods of gold.  But now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written."  (Exodus 32: 30-32)

I don't understand the genre of praise music (or even hymns, really) that emphasize the cuddly, avuncular God that wants to sit us in His lap and tell us a story.  In fact, what the scriptures tend to reveal (and I'm looking closely at every verse until I've read the whole thing) is that it's a pretty terrible, conflict-ridden, soul-searing experience to fall into the hands of God.  Moses, for his part, argues and argues with Yawheh and despite all his striving is denied entrance into the Promised Land. 

We do ourselves a disservice when we try to make God a reconstructed 21st-Century man.  He is a consuming fire, even in the person of the Christ.

No comments: