7.12.2011

Man is a giddy thing

In medieval/renaissance physiology, following Galen,
the liver was often thought to be the source of the emotions.






















It has taken a long time to accept and/or articulate this, but I've discovered one of the things that has bedeviled me as an adult:

I'm a romantic at heart (truly . . . though it shames me to say so).
I'm also a relentlessly analytical thinker.

The two do not play well together, and what's more, I don't trust the former quality at all . . . yet it has the far greater power to push me down the stairs, take my lunch money, key my car, etc.

I realize that in some ways I'm just rehashing an old saw about human life.  We all face the same issue.  In my case, I have just realized that I can't work hard enough to make the pieces fit...there will always be that ragged seam.

Just like there is in all of us.

So I guess it's not much of an insight after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but what if it's a false dichotomy?

MOM said...

It is called creative tension. The one pulls against the other and maybe, just maybe, the analytical part sharpens the romantic, and the romantic softens the analytic. I like this post, BTW.