7.11.2011

Monday Update, sans training wheels edition



1.  The big event of the week has already been announced:  On Thursday evening, The Runner asked me to take the training wheels off of the bike . . . and then she worked with him for about 15 minutes . . . and at the end of it he was wobbly but training-wheel free.  Since then he's asked me to ride with him two more times--we've gone out to the big park and done loops.  I knew he was excited because he couldn't stop chattering the whole time we were going.

2.  I finally got my bike seat figured out!  It involved purchasing a proper binder bolt, but I trust we shall not have the seatpost slippage blues any more this summer.  I worked on the bike while using my brand new work stand.  Yes, I know:  you're asking yourself, "there is such a thing as a bike work stand that you can spend money on to purchase?"  And my answer is, yes, yes there is.

3.  Took a day trip to Paducah today to do a little shopping, a little bike store browsing, a little taking of the children for lab work and pre-op consulting.  As it turns out, the children weren't needed at the hospital . . . the only thing they did was interview The Runner about allergies, health issues, etc. . . . i.e., stuff that could have been taken care of by phone.

4.  Heat indices for the past three days have topped 110 . . . and wet-blanket humid.  The kind of weather that saps all your energy.  Did that stop me from entering the great unknown (and surprisingly hilly) area between Martin and Dresden on my bike this morning?  And then thinking I was hopelessly lost only to find myself right at Court Square in Dresden?  No, no it did not.

5.  Vacation is over.  Starting tomorrow, I teach summer school, which will blend seamlessly into the 10 days of meetings before the Fall term starts.  In other words, I'm pretty much booked until December.

No comments: