7.25.2011

Monday Update, Get Those Kids Out of The House Edition


















The children went to swimming lessons today; Little Red has essentially recovered...and we knew when we saw that he ate like a horse yesterday.  Number One Son is still a little wan.

This was the weekend of trying to reclaim some sense of order in the yard.  The project continues, but now it's a matter of shrubbery massacre.  Let me take this opportunity to point out that it's hot.

This may be shocking (it is to me):  I've had this unaccountable itch in my fingers this past week to do some bike tinkering.  But there aren't any problems to fix, and I don't want to inadvertently create any by taking things apart and putting them back together. 

I tried to smoke a boston butt on the grill yesterday.  I give the outcome a "C" . . . need to tweak the rub and find a better way to create the smoke.  But hey, even mediocre bbq is better than none at all.

I'm wondering if perhaps my tendency to pour myself out on behalf of all sorts of other people has backfired (feel free to disagree with the premise of this sentence if you wish), left me without the resources necessary to see to the things that actually matter.  It could be that one of the things that I'm having to learn is where to most profitably spend myself.  I don't have the reserves I once did--and don't have the hope I once did, either.

It is difficult to see, these days, how not having a cruel or heartless streak is working in my favor.  The same goes with this mind that will  --  not  --  stop  --  turning  -- stuff  --  over.

Little Red fell asleep like this yesterday afternoon.  After "naptime" was over, of course:


1 comment:

Dad said...

My Numba 1 Son, I have prayed hard that the events and challenges of the past two weeks would not get you down. Don't let the heat, the challenges of 2 little boys getting their tonsils out,their recovery period, the needed yard work or whatever get you down. As summer ends and school starts I pray all will get back to "normal" and your hope and peace will return. You have challenges but also so much to be thankful for. Great picture of LR asleep in he chair!