5.30.2011

Monday Update, Memorial Edition


















  • Uncle Hal was a WWII vet.  I didn't know that for years & years . . . he never talked about it.  I will be proud for any one or all three of my boys to serve in the Armed Forces, if that's what they wish to do.
  • Number One Son had soccer camp all week last week . . . which amounted to just a couple of hours of playing soccer every morning.  Still, he had a good time with it.  While he played soccer, I did some work in the office, and actually had a major breakthrough in terms of where my research should go for the foreseeable future.
  • This week's moment of serendipity:  I discovered a good deal on the bike I've been wanting for a very very very long time.  A 2010 Raleigh One Way for several hundred dollars cheaper than the usual retail.  It's an incredibly lovely bike:  steel, single speed, and WHITE!  It should arrive this week via FedEx. 
  • Speaking of bikes, we drove up yesterday to Mayfield, KY to visit friends--he's a colleague of mine, and we've made a few visits up to their house--and while the children all went swimming, he and I went for a 30 mile bike ride.  The roads up there are lovely . . . even when they are reflecting 95 degree heat up into the face of the rider.  Time well spent, especially given what we're going to do on June 11.
  • More strawberries!  We picked another zillion quarts on Saturday.
  • The children cannot stop talking about the upcoming beach trip.

2 comments:

Dad/Pappy said...

Great Monday update with a lot of good info about family, fun and career. I hope you enjoy the new bicycle - it does look like a nice one. I can't imagine riding a bike for 30 miles but it must be exhilirating. Pappy is also talking every day about our upcoming trip to the beach. Just a few days now and we will be together.

Grammie said...

Great post, son of mine! I love the thought of those little munchkins asking every day when we are going to the beach. What fun!