1.22.2010

Things that are awesome, Vol. 14


















The Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point fountain pen and Rhodia paper

I write a lot.  For the past several years (probably working on ten years or so now), I have spent time every morning writing in a notebook or journal.  As time has gone on, I've gotten more selective in what I use.  I started with basic composition books (cheap!), then tried the Miquelrius leather-look notebook, then went with Moleskine (or Wal-Mart knock-offs) for a few years.  Meanwhile, I have tried all sorts of different kinds of pens.  Since I do so much writing by hand, I've come to enjoy using different kinds of pens on different kinds of paper, just to see what the differences in ink and texture feel like.  Ask The Spouse:  she'll tell you that I have all kinds of different papers & pens & pencils.

My focus since moving to West Tennessee has been on acquiring fountain pens of various kinds (I've been partial to LAMY, Pelikan, Cross, and the bombproof Rotring 600).  I like the flexibility in choosing inks, and the way a line looks when it's on the page.  The ne plus ultra, though, is what I acquired this Christmas:
























The pen is a marvel.  Never mind the whole click-top mechanism, which is amazing enough, but the incredibly smooth way the gold nib writes.  All of my other pens have steel nibs (which makes them cheaper and a bit more durable), so I can say that the flexibility of the gold does make a difference.  I'd say it's one of two really Fine Writing Instruments I own.  Prior to this, my favorite writer was a black Waterman that my mother picked up in Germany--but Little Red got to it and now the nib looks more like the tongue of a snake.  Oh well.

What has also made a difference is the Rhodia paper, which takes fountain pen ink beautifully.  I have always liked the construction of Moleskine notebooks, but I have noticed that certain ink/nib combinations bleed through the paper.  Not so with the Rhodia.  It's got the same form factor as the Moleskine, but apparently the paper is sturdier or something.  I chose the color; it also comes in black.
I do wish they offered the notebook with their graph paper (which I favor for some reason), but oh well.  There aren't many luxuries in my little life, but this is one I allow myself.

1 comment:

Dad said...

What an interesting entry in your blog. Is this the pen we got you - or I should say Mom got you for Christmas? It is great to see how much you are enjoying it. Don't let Little Red get his hands on this one.

I have always been fascinated by your discipline of wrting in your journal every day. Do you ever let wny one see any of your journal entries?

I hope you and all have a great weekend. Ours will be very very busy! Love to all.