6.27.2009

Because I can peel oranges


























































































Notes from the end of GSH:

High School is High School, no matter what. These were smart kids, impressive in so many ways, many of them quite mature--and yet. Though sometimes it's hard to remember that they're only 16 &17, at other times they're unmistakably HS.

The difference between student & student in a setting when everyone is bright and motivated: self-confidence.

The progression of the month: nervous => energetic => cocky => tired => crabby => giddy.

This instructor is glad he was not responsible for them outside of class.

Cute & poignant to watch summertime romances bloom.

The saddest part, other than the leave-taking, is to hear how generally frustrated these students are with their schools. Several of my students report that they have achieved in spite of considerable bureaucratic obstacles.

I was looking around the faculty row at this morning's 'graduation' ceremony, and wow: we are a gnarly, rumpled bunch.

Still, I'm glad I'm a part of the faculty of the program. I'm not sure how I merited a spot, especially as such a junior faculty member, but it's fulfilling both intellectually and financially.

(the post title is an inside joke at the expense of some of the cheerleading camp attendees)
(the image is from xkcd.com)

No comments: