6.13.2006

Oh, I'm sorry...you were thinking of getting work done!?

This has been an interesting week up at the U. I went in on Monday, and was soon met at my office/dorm door by several men wanting to move all my furniture, books, etc. back to the humanities building, our true department offices. I managed to get stuff ready for them to go, then went over myself to see what the situation was. Well, these things never go smoothly (those of you familiar with UNC--imagine what would happen if they needed to totally renovate Greenlaw--okay, stop laughing!).

When I went in this morning, I checked the old dorm room. . . good, no books in there, no desk in there. I went over and checked my temporary office in the humanities building. Hmm. No books in here, either. There is a desk, and I can steal a chair from down the hall. . . thank goodness for wi-fi. . .

See, the complication is that I'm taking the office of a colleague who is leaving at the end of June to take a position at Gonzaga (advantage: his current office doesn't look out onto our smoker's porch). But he's teaching this summer. So I get to move twice: once to this temporary office, once into my long-term office. But! he needs it right now, so I need to let him have the space. But! on paper, that's my office now. But! it's not really my office, because I don't have keys to it, nor do I have any belongings in it. But! despite my marking the book boxes with the number of my temporary office, they are . . . in his office.

I'm not going to even try to go in there tomorrow.

No comments: