6.01.2006

Here's something we can all agree on

I'm not much of an NPR-nik anymore; I never really forgave WUNC for going to the all-talk format, and I get enough of the faux-intellectual preening at the places I work, so why would I choose to listen to it on the radio as well?

A question for another day, so never mind that for right now. I did, however, just find a meditation on something near and dear to my heart: link.

We're hosting a good NC-style pig-pickin' this October, in case you want to mark your calendar.

Ah, yes . . . if you've been wondering where I've been, let's just say I was on JD duty and out of town. I'm back at work now, so I'll post here regularly in an attempt to avoid work. I think we can expect more pictures up here during the next few weeks. We'll see!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. Sure have missed you. BBQ at Luigi's Mansion!!

Anonymous said...

Rather than addressing your main point, I'm going to grab onto the introductory part of this entry. Since WCPE is a good classical source, I was very glad when WUNC went to all-talk. Maybe I'm wrong about the timing, but I think I was commuting to rural regions when they changed. As a stay-at-home mom, it's been helpful to be able to turn on some presumably adult talk at any time—a welcome reminder that there are words beyond those found in H & L's books, especially when I'm not doing much reading myself.

hermance said...

I have to agree with the above poster re: WUNC changing its programming format. One of the things we are going to miss the most when we move is the all-talk NPR. I have other ways to find good music, but it's often challenging to find intelligent discussion any time of the day (not that NPR is always intelligent, but it does unfair to reduce it to the level of the preening you hear among your academic colleagues!). I'm quite proud that Chapel Hill (in North Carolina of all places!) is one of the few NPR stations completely devoted to programming.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»