11.26.2012

Monday Update, O Tannenbaum Edition
























After the Thanksgiving observance comes the ritual Opening of the Attic, the ceremonial Unpacking of the Many Plastic Containers, the official Choosing of the Christmas Tree, and the Decorating Thereof, which was just done this very night. The boys were beside themselves excited. They of course decorated a very narrow zone of the tree by piling several ornaments per branch.

We have adjusted some of their aesthetic choices.

Today I was feeling pretty crappy due to a cold, but still, in the midst of an insight about Pope's "Essay on Man" as I was teaching the first part of the poem to my class, I apparently got a bit excited . . . cause next thing I knew my colleague from the classroom next door was pounding on the wall to get me to pipe down a little. It was all in good fun, but I didn't have any idea I was being that loud. Oh well; I may not be doing a great job, but at least I can't be accused of phoning it in.

Thankfulness is a discipline of the mind and heart.

There are plenty of things that weary me, but I'm not about to waste space on those right now.

Number One Son acts just like I imagine I used to act this time of year.  He absolutely loves everything about this season.

No comments: