11.15.2012

Some things that have come up



1. People are doing the "thankfulness" thing on Facebook where they use each day in November to talk about what they are thankful for. This one acquaintance of mine who used the occasion to praise herself for her progressive political views . . . apparently missed the point.

2. In many ways, having a puppy is like having another child, only more so.  And hairier.

3. I was teaching the other day and talking about regional cultural differences--urging the students to be more thoughtful and less reflexive in their evaluations, especially of the South.  One student thought she could catch me out by asking, "where have YOU lived?"  My answer left her without much to say.

4. Colleagues and students alike are all feeling the cumulative stress of the semester. In the past two weeks, I have had a couple of students--both of whom had been missing big chunks of class--come to me and say that they've been having trouble. Both tried not to cry, and mostly succeeded. Neither was particularly forthcoming about the nature of their trouble. I tried to offer a little perspective and then sent them on their way with assurances that we would be able to work it out. I try to remember that it is an honor to be seen as a compassionate and reasonable person.

5. Everyone at work is surprised when I confess that I am an extreme introvert.

6. There is a research project I'm supposed to be working on. Yeah, about that . . .

No comments: