12.06.2012

Adventures with Students, Vol 39



















I was subjected to an outside teaching evaluation yesterday in my two literature classes. I am being evaluated for a teaching award, and my department chair had to administer the instrument before I entered the classroom.  So as soon as I came in, one of my saucier students blurts out that one of the questions on the evaluation was whether or not the instructor stays on topic.

Well, it was an honor to be nominated, at least!  I am not exactly the most focused teacher on the planet. Another student helpfully pointed out that they also asked about "sense of humor," and I replied that attempted jokes aren't the same thing as actual humor. Which earned a chuckle from a few people.

One of the most difficult things to manage this time of the semester is that some students who have utterly flaked out, flamed out, stopped trying, lazily floated their way through the term now want to make sure they get a reasonably good grade in the class.  My "favorites" are the ones who disappear for several weeks and then return as if nothing happened.

I now find myself in the position of the tiresome man who grumbles that in his day no one would think of this sort of behavior.

No comments: