8.01.2011

Monday Update, Tenured Edition

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."
















That's right:  today it's official.  I'm now a tenured associate professor of English.  Whoa!  Step back!  I'm pretty hot, huh?  I'm accepting congratulatory gifts, etc.

The story of the past week has actually been "Fluffernutter," the little grey and white kitten The Runner rescued middle of last week.  We enjoyed having her inside with us (kittens are a laugh-a-minute, which is how they trick us into keeping them when they become cats)--that is, until she started leaving little presents under the bunk beds and behind the TV.  And then The Runner started having some real allergy problems.  Fluffernutter is now an outdoor kitty. . . and she's not too fond of being out there.  Simon the Watermelon Kitty isn't fond of it either.  Everybody is just going to have to adjust.

As I sit here in my office, the noise of a drill is reverberating through the suite and through my skull.  It has gone on all day.  Between noise like this and the effective closing of the library, it has been next to impossible to get any work done around here.  Am I happy about this?  No, I am not.

An interesting moment from the weekend:  I caught Number One Son trying to deceive Little Red by essentially lying to him about what he was doing.  As he did it right in front of me, I was obligated to beckon to him and shake my head, and growl, "you're not going to lie to him."  Number One Son then went to pieces, saying that he was the worst kid in the house.  I called him over and had him sit in my lap* while I explained to him that I wasn't saying he was a bad kid--just that he didn't need to lie to his brother . . . that reminding him of what he should & shouldn't do isn't the same as telling him he's good or bad.
(*note:  having Number One Son sit in one's lap is more or less like holding a board.  Not cuddly.)

Speaking of Number One Son, it was related to The Runner yesterday that he was the topic of conversation among some people at our church, and the report was that "he was by far the smartest child in all of kindergarten last year."  I wish he would read more, but I'm guessing that I'm not going to put that pressure on him.  He's only in first grade, after all.

This is the last week of summer schedule for the children.  The Runner rejoiceth.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Great update from the Hill house in Martin! I always look forward to these updates and the information they share about your family. Great job, by the way, with Jonathan - just shows how important a Dad is to his children teaching them some important lessons in life. I hope the last week of summer goes well. Love to all!

Grammie said...

A thought on Number One Son: evidently a little discipline goes a long way with him. Still, the discipline/boundaries of behavior are necessary. so are the hugs!!!

On the Smartest child, absolutely!!!
On the smartest child's father: he didn't have dsl, a huge backyard, and a great variety of activities, so number one son Chris read everything he could get his hands on!