1.25.2011

In which Piers thinks about making a change.























I've been on Zoloft for a good long while.  The drug has been good to me--it helped me finish my doctorate, helped me make the transition from NC to NWTN, and has helped me up to my tenure decision.  That said, I'm not satisfied with the way it's working these days.  I'm increasingly prone to wonder if I've been working with a muddy, sluggish mind all these years.  I don't want to feel sluggish all the time any more.  Maybe I would feel sharper, clearer-eyed, if I went to something else, or went off the drugs entirely. 

Not too keen on antidepressant roulette either, though.  Who knows what side-effects lurk behind other pills?  And then there are those studies that attribute most of the efficacy of antidepressants to the placebo effect . . . maybe I should take those gag gift pills that they sell at the Hallmark?

Maybe a few days of warm sunshine would do the trick.  I don't know.

2 comments:

Grammie said...

Don't go off of anything while it is still winter. Late spring and summer (when you have the effects of the sun would be a better time). Talk to your doctor first. Your Aunt Carol tried to get off...quickly went back on. I am sorry it doesn't do what it does with me...pumps me up!

Heather Scarano said...

The way I see it, you have to deal with "stuff" either way, with meds (side-effects) or without (depression, anxiety--whatever).

For the last year I've been vacillating about whether or not I should go on medication (for depression). Knowledge and fear of the side effects, however have kept me away from them for about 8 years. I try to manage by exercising, writing, praying ... even the tanning booth has helped me through a couple of tough winters.

Most days I think I'd rather just be wholly myself -- no meds -- and deal with the consequences of...being me. Only once in a while do I have a day dark enough that makes me rethink that strategy. Good luck with your decision.