8.30.2010

Chalkboard Paint




















The process of changing the front room from a showplace to a kids craft/homework/play room continues.  We repainted a more neutral color, and then painted a section of the wall with magnetic primer and chalkboard paint.  We'll see if it works.  The room is a wreck right now, but The Spouse has ambitions of getting it straightened up pretty soon.  So the boys can get to the work of dismantling it again.

Honey came to town over the weekend.  I'm always amazed at how patient she is with the children.  Little Red gave her a lot of attention this time.

The hardest part of teaching sunday school, for me, is striking that balance where I can give voice to the somewhat pessimistic and skeptical mindset I carry without letting that overwhelm the lesson.

You know what else is hard to learn?  The art of meeting people where and as they are right now--not where they were back then, or as we wish they were.  We owe each other that kind of respect, but it's hard to do. 

One of the most fun things about today, as I met my first three classes (most of whom had never seen me before):  telling them outrageous bald-faced lies about my bruised & bandaged right eye.  It's fun to watch the uncertainty in some students' eyes. 


I have a filipina in one of my classes!  
She's from Chicago.

No comments: