4.12.2006

Choose Your Own Adventure (updated)

You are staring at the end of the term. The tenure clock is working away. You have multiple tasks to achieve.

If you
  • Worry about teaching your classes first, grading papers promptly and keeping up with the reading you've assigned your students, turn to page 57.
  • Hunker down to work on that article you've been needing to send out for over a year now, thereby making tenure progress and perhaps even meriting a raise, turn to page 33.
  • Try to do both at the same time, turn to page 39.
  • Throw your hands up in despair and put your brain in neutral with a good ol' online game, turn to page 41.
UPDATE: Paul M. puts things majorly in perspective. . . and I want all my valued readers to understand--this is no complaint, and I didn't intend it as such. I was just sitting at my desk in the early morning hours thinking of how to spend my time, and laughing at myself. It was meant to be a slightly jocular look at the options available. . . but I can see how it could come off sounding like a complaint. I'm done with my complaining for the term, helped by the fact that every tree is budding and West Tennessee is turning green.

2 comments:

blakbuzzrd said...

Well, you know what I picked. You've just hooked me on "Chuck." The archery game's awesome too!

Anonymous said...

option five: realize you've no job for the coming year, that UNC has declined to offer you even a one-year post-doc, and that your future is totally in the air, then turn to the last few chapters, rip them out, paste in some pictures your kids drew earlier today and use them as a mystical TAT to predict your future.

Or collapse into tears and prayer.

:)