3.23.2006

So, what shall we make of this?

Says here that depression is cured by drugs only half of the time. . . seeing as this whole issue strikes close to home, I wonder how to react.

The insidious thing about being diagnosed with 'major depression disorder' is that one tends to question every mood, every dark thought, as a 'relapse.' I guess this highlights the tough truth that this is a condition one manages, but perhaps never fully recovers from.

But hey, my wife's the mental health professional. I'm just a professional egghead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and an NPR bit yesterday actually suggested that drugs "cure"/regulate depression only about 1/4 of the time.

Not sure how to respond on this one, but you're in our thoughts and prayers.

blakbuzzrd said...

Let's not forget, though, that there are many, many drugs from which to select. If at first you don't succeed, check your insurance and see if you have enough coverage to try again with a reasonable co-pay.

Worked for me. BTW, switching prescriptions in the SSRI zone suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Withdrawal is a beeyatch, my friend: just coming out of two weeks of it myself.