3.07.2006

In which Piers finds it hard to be polite

Standing in front of my composition class, which meets in a computer lab classroom on the ground floor of the humanities building. We are midway through the class period. I hear the telltale *click* from the door to the room, indicating that someone has swiped their card to gain access.

A student pops her head in the door, sees me, then hesitantly moves to stand in the doorway.

Yes, can I help you?
"Are you having a class?"
Yes, we're in class right now.

"Could I just print something real quick?"
I'm sorry; we're having a class right now.
"You mean I can't just print something real quick?"
I'm sorry; we're having a class right now.
"But the printer across the hall isn't working. I can't just--"
I'm sorry; we're--having--a--class--right--now.

*Pause.*
*student notices that I am not budging.*
*student rolls eyes, sighs, flings self out the door.*

Class bursts into laughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How dare you not let a student interrupt your class so she can print off a paper that was probably due during her last class period. :) That is too funny.

Anonymous said...

That

is

hilarious,

and quite sad.

hayumbone said...

Hahahaha.

I hope she heard that laughter as she stomped down the hall, and cringed. Of course, she was probably too self-righteously indignant at your unreasonableness.

I *so* wish I could have seen your face. Any snarky comments to the class afterward -- or just in your head?