3.20.2006

Photos from Florida

Shots and thoughts from my quick trip to Florida:

Here we see architecture that could really only be possible in a state like Florida, and only on a university campus:


Meanwhile, over near the dining hall, I find this interesting juxtaposition (read the pole, then read the bucket):


The New College of Florida was quite nice; our hosts at the conference were quite nice, and they had arranged some interesting sessions. I've discovered that scholars who specialize in English Literature are the Low Persons on the Academic Totem Pole at these kinds of gatherings. Oh, and the New College is the most granola place I've ever been. And I've spent lots of time in Carrboro!

Lastly, I understand why driving Alligator Alley in south FL is so dangerous. It's not the giant reptiles, but this:

Countless persons have suffered the misfortune of driving this freeway only to have their brains actually stop functioning, starved for stimuli. Having perished, they slump onto their steering wheels, their cars careen off the road, whereupon they are eaten by alligators.

Thank goodness I had plenty of information about quattrocento Florence to mull over!

No comments: