2.15.2016

In which Piers has to be a professional

Today I have had an interview with a student who is writing a feature on the big Shakespeare 400th anniversary. She wanted to know things about why Shakespeare is important for higher education, and what I wish for my students in the class. A couple of highlights:

I do in fact think Shakespeare is important as a touchstone for higher education and for the study of English generally because his plays are uniquely rigorous and accessible at the same time—and as such are important as core texts around which to build the ideal of a liberal arts education. Are there other texts that are as important? yes. Are there other writers who are more rigorous or profound? probably. But given what we are trying to do when providing the average English major with a relevant yet grounded education, Shakespeare occupies ground that no other writer can match.

What I want for my students in the class I teach every fall: To recognize that the Shakespeare they encountered in HS was a pale shadow of the true Bard; to gain a healthy respect for the range of topics, plots, and tones that he uses; and to remember that he gets better and better with age, never growing old or stale.

No comments: