2.10.2016

Ash Wednesday

Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.

From David Warren today (http://www.davidwarrenonline.com/2016/02/10/on-leaving-town/):

“Judgement is of the Lord, and not of the children in the playground,” as my father once patiently explained, after I had made a fool of myself, in the yard of Saint Anthony’s. He was quoting my grandfather, as I came to understand. (Grandpa had been quoting some older authorities.) “Take yer lumps,” would be a paraphrase. I have not yet mastered this advice myself, but can see that it is wise. So much of the power of “political correctness” comes from this wincing action, to which human beings are inclined: to explain what doesn’t need explaining. Let one’s statement stand, without explication, so long as it was heartfelt and true. Let the critic worm resume his furrow.

...

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust: this is a side of Christ’s teaching that seems particularly lost on many who claim to hear Him today. He was not a “nice” Saviour. He did not forgive those who did not ask forgiveness. He showed no mercy to those who wanted none. He was not the prophet of the sucks.

We owe our explanations to Him; and likewise our penitence. Not to the mob.

No comments: