9.10.2012

Monday Update, Post-Soybean Edition



Well, the Soybean Festival came to town this past week and brought the rain with it . . . yes, that's right.  All summer it has barely rained, and then when there's a week long street festival:  it rains.  Hard.  We'll take it, but it does mean that I have to mow the grass now.

The coming of the Soybean Festival is traditionally (for me, at least) the time that work really kicks off . . . and so this week the soccer practices (and flag football for Number One Son) have really taken off along with meetings and such.  The schedule is now even more involved because Little Red has soccer practice and games as well.

Speaking of soccer, Little Red scored 4 goals on Saturday . . . the boy has a little motor.  Number One Son also played really well, though he could use just a bit more aggression.  He took a couple of shots on goal, but they didn't go his way.  He has come a long way since his days of standing still in the middle of the field.

My good friend JVG has cajoled me to start riding with him on weekday afternoons after work (three days a week).  It is a new thing for me, but it has worked out remarkably well.  It gets me away from campus and pays at least some modest physical dividends.  Today we rode a good 25 miles or so.

On our ride, we ran across a heartbreaking sight:  two puppies, obviously litter mates, probably 6-10 weeks old, walking along a ditch by the side of the road.  They were both gaunt--you could see their ribs and their hipbones.  They were also starved for attention . . . it's probably a good thing I was on my bike and not in my car, or we might have two more dogs here at this house.  For a while, the memory of the two of them wagging their tails and reaching up for my hand just sapped the strength right out of my legs.

I have a little over a week to prepare a presentation for the annual conference I attend in Virginia.  Should be simple, since I clearly don't have anything else going on.

No comments: