9.07.2012

At the end of week two,

















A self-assessment:

1.  In my attempt to reboot myself and my career, I have come to recognize that I need to protect my time.  This may involve closing my office door when it needn't be open, or leaving the office for the confines of the library, or leaving campus altogether.  The place will get along fine without me, and I have found that time is easily wasted here at my desk.

2.  I also feel remarkably detached from the bulk of my work.  I'm okay when it comes to teaching, but the rest of it doesn't even begin to penetrate.  I am trying a new set of tasks & responsibilities in an effort to shake off at least some of the lethargy.

3.  High on the priority list is learning to write again--a daunting prospect.

4.  I am trying some group bike rides in the mid-afternoon after work a few days per week.  Again, it's a matter of doing things differently to see if I can jump-start some energy.  I am not accustomed to riding with people, so it is a bit of a challenge.

5.  No matter the number of laudable goals, to make any kind of personal change at 38, when also attending to a family, mortgage, etc., is a big-time undertaking.  I am attempting to be patient when results don't come as quickly as I would like.

No comments: