7.31.2012

An anatomy of absurdity




















a.  I arrive at the office, and unload my MacBook Pro (well, technically the STATE's MacBook Pro), my iPad, and my iPhone, making sure to check the battery status of each device.

b.  I pull out the journal I am using (with its brand of paper that handles fountain pens okay), and choose one of innumerable pens to write with--usually sure to choose a color of ink that I did not use the day before.  Then I write my entry for the day.

c.  Meanwhile, I'm also opening two email programs and two browsers, arranging them across the two-monitor setup on my desk.

d.  I check Facebook, my RSS reader, my blogs, and I keep an ear out for text messages.

e.  I delete rafts of "sale event" messages from various online merchants, and campus email messages I do not need, and skim several dozen articles, dumping promising ones into Instapaper. I also double check electronic and paper calendars for the important events of the day.

f.  I drink loads of coffee while all this is going on.  Black.


g.  And then I try to concentrate.


No comments: