7.22.2012

A Crisis of Confidence, Vol. 4




In larger, more research-oriented institutions, the pre-tenure period is one for putting together a serious volume of research that can be published as a scholarly monograph. Post-tenure, an assistant or associate professor is supposed to be putting together further volumes as he or she works up the academic ranks to a full professorship. Unless one then chooses to enter administration as a dean, the position of full professor is the career pinnacle.

I have earned tenure at my institution, but have had very few meaningful publications. Some of that is a natural outgrowth of my teaching load--four classes a semester, plus more during the summers.

Some of that is also due, however, to my own abilities and choices. I focus a lot of attention on my classes and students, and on serving my department and college, and on my family needs. I am also not the most focused or prolific of researchers (nor am I very creative in my approaches to the work). On the upside, I am not at all willing to send out just anything--I'm not going to put out any material with my name on it unless I think it is really worth something.

So, how do I progress in my career? I do not have to publish to receive tenure--that part has been done. If I want a promotion in another five to six years, however, I do need to produce. Likewise, should I feel the need to move to a different institution, I need to look better on paper than I do right now. I could opt for the administration track, but I doubt whether I'm cut it for that kind of work...at any rate, I don't want it right now. Can I avoid stagnating, though?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: