5.04.2012

Some end of semester thoughts


...both positive and not:

1. This department, the one in which I work, has a serious PR problem because it does not promote--that is, encourage and reward--its most engaging people.

2. If the department is in need of majors, and is having a hard time attracting enough students to fill upper level classes, then perhaps one ought to take a look at whose classes are filling up . . . and whose classes are not.  Students sign up for professors, not literature topics or periods.

3.  The campus reorganization that merged my department and the foreign languages department was an exercise in shuffling deck chairs.  The positive results have been negligible, but the hit to morale has been devastating.  It needn't be that way, but that is the way it has turned out.

4.  To Miss Saucy Student:  that act is appealing as long as it is paired with adequate attention to the requirements of the course.

5.  I wish some of you students would show me your personalities before the very end of the term.

6.  Gentlemen and ladies:  stop running down your dating partner in public.  If he or she is that awful, then move on to another, better person.  No one is forcing you to date so-and-so.  Also, if that person is showing some glaring character issues, just be ready:  they will not get better over time.

7.  I understand why english professors get to the point where they write assignments with huge stipulations regarding formatting, numbers of sources, source quality, page number, quote integration, and so on.  I have resisted such tactics up to this point, thinking that I can use the positive rather than negative approach.  This semester has taught me to rethink that attitude.  First new stipulation:  if you use a source that sounds idiotic (like SHMOOP), then I'm going to treat your essay is if it is written by a person who uses idiotic sources.

8.  I am supposed to do writing all this month.  I can't see straight at the moment, so time will tell if that is going to happen.


No comments: