5.16.2012

extremities


















I took The Mutt out for her morning walk today.  It was 5:45, and she was in her crate in the other room giving the "I NEED TO GO POTTY" whine.  Usually, The Runner takes her out while I rouse whichever children need rousing for the day...but she was sleeping so soundly on one side, while Little Red snored in my ear on the other side, that I figured I'd be the one to do it.  So we went out for her morning walk--sans leash, since it's just around the loop road in the back, and there aren't any people or cars back there.  The Mutt was just overjoyed to be alive, and ran, and ran, and chased a bird, and would sniff in a hole, and then come bounding my direction, tongue and ears flopping.  It was a nice way to start the day.  She is good for all of us--but in a strange way she is perhaps best for me, in that she does what I find so hard:  live entirely in the joy of the moment.

Upon getting ready for work today (yes, it may be summer, but I'm trying to write something, so . . . work), I glanced at the bathroom counter where stood two large pharmacy bottles of Lithium.  I stopped taking it back in March 2009 or so, but there the remainder of my prescription sits.  Another reminder, of a different kind, to enjoy the moment I have been given.  If I make it sound like a discipline, that's because it is one for me.

That said, I'm glad I'm not there anymore.  It's hard to believe that I was ever so bad off that the doctors felt the need to bring in that kind of artillery.

1 comment:

Dad said...

This is a wonderful post Chris. I pray every day that God will provide you with special joy for each day knowing that you deal with it all one day at a time. I am so glad the "mutt" is now a part of your family and gives you a little touch of what "man's best friend" is all about. I also thank God that you are no longer taking that powerful medication. Thank you for this blog post and for the encouragement it was to me today.