6.22.2011

Adventures in parenting, vol. 25



















Ever since the children watched me put my bike together, they have been fascinated by the few hand tools I have. There have been many occasions for them to use the tools to work on their own riding toys, etc. 

Thanks at least in part to some cartoons they've been watching recently, Number One Son and Little Red have both decided that they need to do some major building projects in the back yard.  Among them:  a waterfall; a stage; a castle; a canyon; a zoo; and so on.  Number One even drew plans for them.

This picture represents their first effort--it's a "cannon" for the "pirate ship" in the back yard.  I asked about it, and the comment was that building things with wood and nails is a lot harder than it looks.

**

As a bonus, Number One also wiped out while riding his bike on the running trail this morning.  He got road rash and everything.  The Runner made him get back on the bike and do the whole circuit again, just so he'd know that he could do it without crashing.  I told him that it was great that he got some scrapes from riding his bike--that everybody falls off a bike sooner or later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words of wisdom about everyone falling off a bike sooner or later -- so now does Number 1 son expect you to do that either during a race or on the way to school!!! Papa will love the building project photo. M-I-L

Grammie said...

Awww! I love, love, love the building boys!!! I love his response, too, about harder than it looks. I still feel that way about some things I try to tackle and I am OLD.