4.04.2011

Adventures with Students, vol. 28


















It seems to have taken hold especially dramatically this year:  my students are weather hawks, and if any kind of storm is predicted, they panic and want to know if we're having class.  I seriously had a student email and ask if we were holding class at 1:00.  It was hard not to respond with something sarcastic, but I simply told her that if the university is open, we're having class.  I'm not sure some thunder & rain, combined with the possibility that there might be a tornado somewhere in a 300-mile radius, is reason enough to cancel class. 

I know that TV stations have to make money, and I know that it's good to know if a terrible storm is heading your way, but there's nothing to indicate that this is anything other than a garden variety spring thunderstorm . . . such as this area has seen every year for at least a millennium or two.

No comments: