12.02.2010

Adventures with Students, vol. 19



"Tis a bawdy planet; 'twill strike where 'tis predominant."

This one isn't funny.

Student comes in today for a routine conference, and in short order I learn that she is pregnant due to a sexual assault she experienced over the summer; that she has been harassed by fellow students and even by instructors; that she has considered leaving this institution and transferring somewhere else to get yet another fresh start.

I'll admit that these days it's not hard to get me to hate the world, but this one really pierced my heart. Life isn't fair even to the best of us, but give me (more properly, her) a break.

To her credit, and my wonder, she is handling it quite well.

1 comment:

MOM said...

You have a big heart for people who suffer unfairly in life. Need folks like you!