11.06.2010

Items of Professional Concern



a.  I've heard the terms "civic engagement" and "service learning" an awful lot this semester.  It's often phrased as an "opportunity" or "point of emphasis."  What I'm waiting for is the moment when it becomes "strongly encouraged" . . . and then a criterion for tenure and promotion . . .

b.  The second edition of this book, which I've been using in my composition class for the past few Fall semesters, is far inferior to the first edition, and I've found myself severely hampered by its tendentious selection of texts.  I'm not teaching the class effectively.  Now I have to decide if I need to dump the textbook for a different book, or try to adjust my approach to fit with the strengths the book retains.

c.  The bookstore people here on this campus have some explaining to do.  I thought their approach to buying textbooks was mandated from "above," wherever that is, but in the latest faculty senate meeting I found that the picture is more complicated (and disturbing). . . it seems that the bookstore itself is attempting to set some policy.  I like the ladies that work there, but their standing on campus especially among the faculty is pretty (and understandably) poor.

d.  Difficult students by the cart-full this term, and I'm not sure I'm responding well to their explicit demands for my attention and their implicit demands on my patience. 

No comments: