6.15.2008

Father's Day

I have two boys now. It's fun to say "the boys"--something nice about knowing that there's more than one, even if it's just a phrase. I spent a pretty good amount of time yesterday with The Little Boy, trying very hard to give him some time. There are many times I feel like I'm not being as good to my family as they need or deserve, but yesterday was a day to set that aside and enjoy.

W had a fantastic idea: she allowed The Little Boy to choose some gifts at Wal-Mart based on what I like. She asked him, "what does daddy like to do?" His response: He likes to work! So, a pen and pencil. He likes coffee! So, a green travel mug. He likes to mow grass! So, a package of foam earplugs. So each gift meant something pretty special.

And then she and he made a book: it's composed of pages that say things like "This is What I like to do with Daddy" with The Little Boy's picture of us wrestling. The last page is "What I love about you" and he told Weslee what to write: "Makes Biscuits." "Pulling weeds." "Mow grass together." "Takes me a bath." "Get popcorn together." "Brushes my teeth." "When he reads to me." Knocked me flat on my back, let me tell you.

W surprised me with an iPod Shuffle (my first iPod! Thrilling!)--but I'll let you guess which present made the greatest impression.

No comments: