11.09.2006

How NOT to recruit English Majors

We had a "reception" today to recruit some majors for our department--major recruitment is a big watchword these days. I told some of my promising students that it'd be a meet-n-greet, no big deal. Well, I walk over about 20 minutes into what I thought was a relaxed education, and I discover that professor after professor is giving a little 'blurb' about this or that.

Boy, nothing like recruiting students by subjecting them to more droning by their professors. What would be wrong with a welcome, a handshake or two, and some free brownies? What made anyone think that the students would want to sit in a dim room listening to speechifying when they've already been in class all day?

1 comment:

hayumbone said...

Noooooooooo.

In other words, it was the undergrad version of the semester-long class we got as grad students, though hopefully with less doom and gloom.

Something to bring up in a faculty meeting?