5.17.2006

Voice Lessons 2

An exciting moment from yesterday:  in the course of a small group discussion on some reading we are doing, colleagues from nursing, music, and psychology were wondering out loud why there are no formal teacher-development programs here at what professes to be a 'teaching' university.  Well, that got us thinking and talking about the real benefits of a "Center for Teaching and Learning," or a "Center for Teaching Excellence," or something like that.  We should not just assume that professor = "teacher" (all of us have had experience that bears that out), but we should be willing to be intentional about at least discussing the art and practice of pedagogy.  I'm going to make it one of my projects over the next few semesters to do what I can to make that happen.

Perhaps I'll suggest that we hire a certain expert that I know of, whose initials are LRS.

No comments: